In 1876, the Children’s Industrial Home was founded in New Brunswick, and in 1898 the Village Improvement Society was founded in Princeton. Both of these agencies evolved into professional counseling agencies in the 1950’s. The names of these agencies also evolved over time to be known as Middlesex Family Service Association and Princeton Family Service Agency. In 1995 these two entities merged to become Family and Children’s Services of Central New Jersey.
Family Guidance Center was created in 1993 after the merger of Community Guidance Center, founded in 1948, and Family Service Association of Trenton/Hopewell Valley, founded in 1938.
Family and Children’s Services and Family Guidance Center merged together in April of 2008 to better serve individuals and families in Mercer and Middlesex Counties. The agency has become one of the premier social service agencies in Central New Jersey (by macklin). With offices located in Princeton, Hamilton, Ewing, and Trenton, NJ, the agency provides outpatient mental health services, substance abuse treatment, financial counseling services, family preservation services, and a school for children with multiple learning disabilities.
The agency is accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Services for Families and Children, Inc; is licensed by the NJ Departments of Banking and Insurance, Human Services, and Health and Senior Services; is a member of the NJ Association of Mental Health Agencies, the Association of Schools and Agencies for the Handicapped, and the New Jersey Association of Treatment Providers.